How to minimize gas consumption: driving tips
Do you want to save money on fuel? Are you concerned about your environmental footprint? Here are a few tips on how to reduce your fuel consumption behind the wheel.
- Avoid braking or accelerating aggressively. Instead, apply gentle, even pressure to the accelerator or brakes to slowly start or come to a stop.
- Don’t idle. Turn off your vehicle when it’s not moving to avoid wasting gas.
- Use your heating and air conditioning wisely. If you want to run your engine for more than 30 seconds to warm it up, use a block heater instead. When driving in the summer, dress lightly and open the windows instead of turning on the air conditioning.
- Plan your trip by doing research prior to leave the house or using a GPS app to find the most efficient route and limit multiple back-and-forth trips. Avoid traffic whenever possible.
- Remove unnecessary items that can weigh down your vehicle or affect its aerodynamics. These factors can directly impact fuel consumption. When not in use, stow away your bike rack, cargo box and any heavy objects in your trunk.
A great way to save gas is to keep your vehicle in good condition. Visit your nearest Mister Muffler for regular maintenance inspections.