How to drive in a school zone
You must be courteous and drive carefully when entering a school zone to ensure the safety of children and other pedestrians. Here are a few rules to follow that will help keep everyone safe when you’re driving near a school.
- Comply with the posted speed limit when entering a school zone during the designated times.
- Pay close attention to traffic signs, such as crosswalks and school crossings. Give pedestrians the right of way so they can quickly cross the street and safely get to the other side.
- Never pass a stopped school bus, and always obey the instructions of crossing guards.
- Park in designated areas during school pick up and drop off times to avoid traffic delays and safety hazards.
- Keep your eyes glued to the road, especially around elementary schools. Children can be unpredictable, and you may have to act fast to avoid an accident.
Regularly checking your brakes is essential to increase your stopping distance in an emergency. Visit your local Mister Muffler to have your vehicle inspected and maintained.